This month saw the launch of a standalone website for L-WIN – the universal wine identifier. L-WIN is a unique numerical code, designed to improve the simplicity, speed and accuracy of data and information exchange throughout the wine trade.
L-WIN is used to:
- Improve database accuracy and facilitate the sharing of wine related data
- Revolutionise supply chain efficiency: avoid errors and re-keying
- Reduce costs and increase profitability
The first six numbers of the code represent each wine’s unique identifier, while the seventh number is a “check digit” that minimises input errors. Each L-WIN refers to the wine itself (i.e. the producer and brand, grape or vineyard). Additional information, such as the vintage, bottle size or pack size can be easily added as separate fields.
Standard L-WIN formats are:
- L-WIN: 1234567 – Example winery, Cabernet
- L-WIN-11: 12345672012 – Example Winery, Cabernet, 2012
- L-WIN-16: 1234567201200750 – Example Winery, Cabernet, 2012, 750ml bottle size*
- L-WIN-18: 123456720121200750 – Example Winery, Cabernet, 2012, 12 bottles of 750ml
*All bottles sizes are expressed in millilitres in a five digit format.
On the new L-WIN website the entire L-WIN data file is available for download. The database is constantly evolving, and you can request an L-WIN for any wine that is currently not included.
If you want to learn more about L-WIN and how it will help your business, please get in touch.